Linux Web Hosting System Administrator (Level 2)
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Salary: £23,000 - £32,000 depending on experience + benefits.
UnitedHosting has been providing high quality managed hosting solutions since 1998 and is a privately owned, debt free, UK company. Our customers range from small personal website accounts right through to large private and public sector organisations requiring enterprise grade hosting solutions. We pride ourselves on delivering rock solid managed hosting backed by a 24x7 team of people who care about our customers and the solutions they depend on.
You will be responsible for delivering exceptional 2nd line technical supportto our managed hosting customers. Working via online helpdesk, email and telephone you will be dealing with escalated support issues and server management duties, responding to server monitoring alerts and taking care of day-to-day Linux system administration across our fleet of 500+ CentOS based servers. This role would suit an aspiring SysAdmin looking for experience in a fast-paced hosting environment with an aim of moving up to more advanced level 3 responsibilities.
- Working directly with customers via phone, livechat, email and helpdesk ticket system.
- Troubleshoot and solve a wide range of customer support issues from basic to complex.
- Dealing with escalated issues and support requests from our Level 1 support team.
- Escalating support issues that cannot be dealt with by yourself to our Level 3 team.
- Identifying recurring issues/requests and documenting solutions internally and externally.
- Monitoring our servers and systems and responding to problems.
- Monitor server health and capacity levels, recommending upgrades/changes where required.
- Performance optimisation on busy servers and dynamic websites with slow page loading times.
- Helping clients with issues popular scripts are prone to have (e.g. Joomla, Wordpress, Magento)
- Performing routine system maintenance and upgrades to our Linux servers.
- Migrating customer accounts from one server to another.
- Maintaining our off-site backup servers (ensuring backups are current, restoring backups, etc).
- Customer relationship management: following up with customers to ensure they are happy!
- Working with our sales team to plan new customer solutions and server deployments.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Proven track record managing and supporting Linux servers with a cPanel hosting environment.
- Working knowledge of typical level 2 hosting issues, support requests and related tasks.
- Strong understanding of CentOS/Redhat distribution of Linux (we are nearly 100% CentOS).
- Solid experience in managing web hosting environments: LAMP Stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), SSL, TCP/IP, DNS, Networking, FTP, SSH, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, Sendmail, Exim, IPTables.
- Strong understanding of cPanel control panel based servers.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex issues independently under time/SLA constraints until resolved.
- Strong technique in server optimisation and performance tuning (e.g. troubleshooting high load on busy servers or helping a customer improve web page delivery speeds).
- Understanding of Mod_Security or similar application firewalls.
- Automation with BASH, Perl, PHP or other scripting languages and tools.
- Familiarity with load balancing, clustering, and software/hardware solutions (e.g. rsync and MySQL replication on a load balanced setup).
- Ability to use server health and monitoring tools (e.g. Nagios, Cacti).
- Experience of managing backup and retrieval software (we use Idera/r1Soft).
- Experience in managing 'shared hosting' servers and common issues in multi user environments.
- Ability to multitask and meet specific goals set by supervisors and management
- Confidence to work with high profile accounts and manage their needs and expectations.
- Write documentation and contribute to the staff knowledge base.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical people.
- Good technical knowledge of commonly hosted end-user applications such as: Magento, Joomla, Wordpress, Moodle, and other common PHP/MySQL based software our clients are using.
This is a customer facing role so you will need a good telephone manner, friendly approach, excellent communication and time management skills. You must be willing to go the extra mile for our customers at all times with an enthusiastic and pragmatic approach while working.
Please send your CV to: email@example.com