Linux Web Hosting Systems Administrator (Level 3+)
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Salary: £30,000 - £50,000 depending on experience + benefits.
UnitedHosting has been providing high quality managed hosting solutions since 1998 and is a privately owned, debt free, UK company. Our customers range from small personal website accounts right through to large private and public sector organisations requiring enterprise grade hosting solutions. We pride ourselves on delivering rock solid managed hosting backed by a 24x7 team of people who care about our customers and the solutions they depend on.
The senior systems administrator will be responsible for delivering 3rd line technical support to external clients and internal employees. This will be a varied role from escalated customer support problems at application, server or hardware level through to standard change requests from our customers. You will provide specialist advice to customers and help to optimise and performance tune their hosting solutions. Requests are dealt with via phone, email and ticketing system either directly from the customer or via our internal team. Part of this role will also involve working alongside sales to design and deploy new solutions for customers, and elements of technical project work to develop the operations within our company.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Proven track record of managing and supporting Linux web hosting systems.
- Strong understanding of CentOS/Redhat distribution of Linux (we are nearly 100% CentOS based).
- Solid experience in managing web hosting environments: LAMP Stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), SSL, TCP/IP, DNS, Networking, FTP, SSH, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, Sendmail, Exim, IPTables.
- Strong understanding of cPanel control panel based servers.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex issues independently under time/SLA constraints until resolved.
- Strong technique in server optimisation and performance tuning (e.g. troubleshooting high load on busy servers or helping a customer improve web page delivery speeds).
- Use of software such as Varnish, Nginx, APC, Memcache for Apache performance tuning.
- Ability to tune busy MySQL servers.
- Understanding of Mod_Security or similar application firewalls.
- Automation with BASH, Perl, PHP or other scripting languages and tools.
- Familiarity with load balancing, clustering, and software/hardware solutions (e.g. rsync and MySQL replication on a load balanced setup).
- Working knowledge of virtualised environments, especially Xen and onapp utilising SAN technologies.
- Ability to use server health and monitoring tools (e.g. Nagios, Cacti).
- Experience of managing backup and retrieval software (we use Idera/r1Soft).
- Knowledge of Linux security and auditing tools and techniques to maintain a secure environment.
- Good working knowledge of typical hosting industry practices, operating system and software environments, networking and firewall changes, scripting and/or coding and other related tasks.
- Experience in managing 'shared hosting' servers and common issues in multi user environments.
- Good technical knowledge of commonly hosted end-user applications such as: Magento, Joomla, Wordpress, Moodle, and other common PHP/MySQL applications.
This is a customer facing role so you will need a good telephone manner, friendly approach, excellent communication and time management skills. You must be willing to go the extra mile for our customers at all times and possess natural initiative and pro-activeness while working.
Please send your CV to: email@example.com